Thursday, September 17, 2009

oh yeah

did i mention that i met iron and wine? in late august, i got off work and went up to salt lake for their summer concert series. it was so so crowded and there were a billion too many people there because it was free, BUT he was wonderful, and the best part was not even the show although the show was really magical, it was before the show when carol ann, i, and two gentlemen were walking up to the show after parking, and i spotted him across the street and said "you guys, i'm sure that's him". he was having a quick smoke outside of a bar across the street. and the two unnamed gentlemen didn't believe it so they continued on (to some quikmart?) while carol ann and I crossed the street and had the nicest talk with sam beam. i was really nervous. i was SO nervous. this is pretty much how the conversation went, if memory serves:

ca: hi. (shakes hands) i'm carol ann.
me: hi, my name's lauren. (i pointed to my chest instead of shaking hands. IDIOT)
sb: hi, it's very nice to meet you both.
... something something, it came up that i'm from virginia....
me: oh yeah, and i uhh....i was researching you....uhh before i came and i read that you used to go to VCU.
sb: yeah, i did. i lived in oregon hill.
me: when were you there?
sb: umm...'92 to '96 i believe.
me: oh. yeah...i was tiny baby then.
....and it ended with well wishes and we said we were excited about the show and we left.

i was sad that we didn't take a picture with him but carol ann was proud of us for not being annoying. which speaks to how much cooler carol ann is than i am, because i just wanted proof for my progeny that it actually happened. this blarg will have to do. anyway, it was a cool night, and definitely a highlight of the summer. i miss you already, summer.

watch this when you're really longing for the good ol' dog days.

3 comments:

canne said...

great post. with the few b-list* "celebs"** i have managed to meet i have been nothing short of bumbling and idiotic. god bless america.

*but A-list to me!
**laurel ulrich, walead beshty, etc.

Anonymous said...

I'm not gonna lie, I've never heard of this guy but I listened to his little song and I liked it! I thought to myself, "of course this is something Lauren listens to, duh!" and I also thought, "that guy kinda looks like William" but I think that's because he has a beard and the last time I saw William, he had a beard. That's the only reason they look alike!!! He's good though, I just might have to listen more often. Thanks for broadening my musical horizon!

KevandChels said...

i don't know who this guy is either? :) fun though. and i don't your blog is boring. i think it's great!